Monday 27 July 2015

Further Research

Bubble: Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
By Siller Scofidio + Renfro 
The Bubble is an event space planned for the cylindrical courtyard of the Hirschhorn Museum. It is an architecture of air, it is a pneumatic structure enclosed by a translucent membrane that is squeezed through the centre of the circular building, filling the void, and coming out of the top and bottom of the mass. The Bubble is a soft building inside a hard one.



This architectural design could be something I look at, as a soft and inflatable piece but inside the original building frame at 25 College Street. It could come out at certain points of the building and it would then also effect the lighting that comes into the space. The type of material used for it but also the pattern (if theres a pattern) would then also cast shadows across the space.

Las Vegas Air 
By Nicholas John Balderrama Morley
This project investigates the role of air within architecture, and its ability to not only permit novel forms and technologies but aesthetic experiences. This large shell encases restaurants and flavour labs that circulate scents throughout the building.





The way that this architectural piece circulates scents throughout the body of it really made me think about further enclosing the scent of each of my selected perfumes. I have already produced a initial concept that does enclose the scents at the scale that I think could be nearing on the biggest for the space but this has me thinking maybe I can go bigger.

Net Blow up
By Numen/For Use
This is an inflatable box like space with buoyant lack webs fitted tightly inside. Visitors are invited to come inside the form and bounce around and off the wall, floor and ceiling as the soft form allows you to. During night a light from the inside is on which makes the view of it from the outside to appear like a projection. Silhouettes of the people inside are formed and can be seen through the white exterior shell. 
This makes me question my space. Currently I am thinking strictly for day time use as a retail store, but do I want it to be accessible during night hours or is it still viewable and interesting even while no ones inside the shop?





This image below is the Salt Building in Vancouver by Action Ostry Architects. The reason for this image is it reminded me of the structural beams at the space at 25 College Street. An idea I had from this was to even add to the existing beams to create more but then to use the idea above, of a inflatable and to then have it squeezing through the beams also effecting the lighting that comes into the bottom of the space. I could play with this.



The image below it just caught my eye. The simplicity of the space is so open but the intriguing part takes place above you by structure and lighting.


This image is Anne Ferrer's "Blow Up" where she has created inflatable sculptures. I think this would be fun to be in as a space but, and I could design a space where the pre existing A B C blow up letters cover the space, but I want to get more of a design into the space and to create more of an expeerience for customers but also a practical one.






This image is from the Matakana Movie Theatre in Auckland. I have personally been to see it, and it is overwhelming by the amount of the flowers and the artificial light that falls on them really forms a depth to them which makes you feel enclosed by them.

I like this idea of covering a wall and making it a feature. Here they have used flowers, but I enjoy the idea of using something more harsh and rigid to form something intriguing and interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment